Pistachio-Crusted Goat’s Milk Cheese with Beetroot, Verjus Jelly & Mustard Dressing
This dish is a brilliant start to any meal. It combines intense flavours and textures with bursts of colour to create a sensually inspiring and fun dish.
- 2 whole large beetroot
- 4 baby beetroot
- 40g pistachio nuts peeled
- 15g Japanese breadcrumbs (Panko crumbs)
- 15g white sesame seeds
- 170g goat's milk cheese
- 2 eggs
- 20g cake flour
- 2 gelatine leaves
- 50ml cold water
- 150ml verjus
- 2g caster sugar
- 32 beech mushrooms
- 15g wholegrain mustard
- 25ml white wine vinegar
- 75ml canola oil
- green grapes, skinned and pitted
- celery salt
- olive oil
- coriander micro herbs, to garnish
- sunflower oil
- Boil the beetroot in salt water until tender, remove from the heat and allow to cool down. Repeat for the baby beetroot - the cooking time will be less. Peel the beetroot. The large beetroot need to be sliced thinly then, using a cutter, cut into rounds. The baby beetroot need to be cut in half.
- Chop the pistachios roughly. Mix with the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds.
- Roll the goat's cheese into even-shaped balls, three per person. Have three containers ready separately, one with whisked egg, another with flour and the third with the pistachio breadcrumbs. Firstly dip the goat's cheese balls into the flour, shake off, then into the egg mixture and finally into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure the breadcrumb mixture covers the whole goat's cheese ball.
- Soak the gelatine leaf in the cold water for 1 minute until soft. Heat the verjus with the sugar in a saucepan to just under boiling. Allow to cool down slightly then add the gelatine (make sure you squeeze out the excess water first). Stir for 1 minute until the gelatine is dissolved. Pour the jelly into a flat tray (1cm deep) and refrigerate until set. When set cut the jellies into square blocks. Keep refrigerated until ready for use.
- Blanch the mushrooms in salted water for 1 minute. Refresh in ice water. Just before serving dress with vinaigrette.
- In a bowl combine the mustard and vinegar. Slowlly whisk the oil into the vinegar mixture, drop by drop, until all the oil is incorporated. Season to taste.
- Place the beetroot rounds in a straight line on the plate. Scatter the jellies, grapes, baby beets and beech mushrooms using the photo as an example. Sprinkle a pinch of Celery salt on the beetroot rounds. Drizzle the mustard vinaigrette around the beetroot and between the grapes and jellies. Drizzle olive oil on the plate. Place the micro herbs as desired. Deep fry the goat's cheese balls in the sunflower oil until golden brown, then place on the beetroot rounds.
- When making the vinaigrette, ensure that the oil is added bit by bit to form an emulsion (dressing consistency). If oil is added too quickly the vinaigrette will be too watery and separate.
Please follow and like us: